Coffee & Cocoa || A Review (mostly on coffee)









VS


    So tonight I was taking some coffee and hot chocolate out to my dad and sister who were out in the cold shed replacing something in the car (please don't ask me WHAT...I am not mechanically minded, and I really don't mind that). (My sister just informed me that it was the radiator...)
   Anyway, it's cold out, so I take them these drinks to warm their hands and hearts, and come back inside with my own warm mug of cocoa in my hand (of course I had to make some for myself!)
   After making Dad's coffee, there was a cupful leftover that didn't fit in the thermos I took out to him. I realize as I'm sipping my lovely chocolate that it's been awhile since I've had coffee. Now I know that the last time I tried it, I declared it as gross as, well, dirt water, and I wasn't sure that my opinion would change any, but I just had to try some!

I had to fully savor the flavor, decide if it was truly as terrible as I had remembered it, really experience COFFEE.

   As I eyed that cup of coffee, I also knew that after sumptuously flavorful Swiss Miss hot cocoa, my taste buds might be even less inclined to approve what I was about to do to them. Thus, when I went to sip some of that coffee, I made sure to get a good-sized mouthful or two to really taste it.
Then back to a sip or two of cocoa.
Now back to a sip or so of coffee.
Pour a little coffee in the cocoa...try that. ('Cause it's not as if I mind coffee/mocha-flavored things, just coffee itself, right?)

All in all, I'll have to share this:

A few things I've learned, heard, and experienced with coffee

1) I don't like coffee!

Okay there, I said it officially. It is not just a childhood pact with my sisters that 'coffee is burnt dirt water and I shall never like it'. No. This is a genuine dislike for coffee. Not that I hate it...but I certainly don't love it.


2) Coffee doesn't like me!!

It has spilled all over my legs/feet before. (true story) (really hurt)
And perhaps I should more specifically mention that coffee pots don't like me very much. I was washing one once and VOILA! it breaks. :| And more recently, a bowl slipped out of my hand, bounced off the counter and onto the coffee pot--which just so happened to be full of freshly made burning hot coffee--breaking it and sending a flood of scalding liquid onto my pants. Yeah. Ouch again.

3) Things I have recently heard about coffee

That "Coffee is becoming a refreshment that noone can live without."
Let me assure you--we can live without it.
That "Coffee has an earthy taste."
True. VERY true. (bonus points to the person who clearly has more tact than me as to call it 'earthy' instead of 'dirt-y')

4) Things I can (and will!) say in coffee's defense & things I just can't come to terms with

On the up side:
  • There's a really cute little connotation of sitting at a campfire with a tin cup full of coffee that's super old-timey and sweet
  • There's also the thought of writers with coffee making a circled stain on their work...
  • And people that love coffee usually have a sweet reason for it...like their dad's drink it or something.
  • It tastes 'earthy'. Though I don't like the taste, I like the thought of it tasting that way. Weird.
  • It smells absolutely AMAZING
And the down of it:
  • It leaves a rather harsh/bitter feel and taste in the back of your throat.
  • It tastes absolutely TERRIBLE
  • It may be a nice image around the campfire...but it still doesn't taste that great.
  • As for the coffee stains...tea can make some pretty good ones, too. ;)
And I think we can now safely say that I prefer hot chocolate. I hope you'll forgive this ramble of mine...I know you may disagree with me, but I rather enjoyed myself all the same. :)

Blessings and love,






Photo credits: Google Images

Comments

  1. I had not even read this yet and I decided to taste coffee again myself just to be sure it was as bad as I thought it was. It was indeed! Lovely post. :) Love you!
    Love, Me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, 'Me'! ;) I'm glad we agree. :D Love you, too!

      Delete
  2. I AM TOTALLY AGREED ON THIS. coffee is just -- well, ew. xD

    this post was so awesome <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is elementary, dear friend. Why, everyone knows tea is better for the digestion. -Your dear Boswell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. However, all facts must be explored. Forget not that merely reasoning coffee was popular in the 16th and 17th centuries does not give excuse to neglect today such comparisons as are listed above.
      Yours very truly,
      S. H.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments; they make my day!! ♥