GOODBYE 2016!! || My Book Log's Year in Review

These two were from graduation pics I took for my sister & her friend earlier this year.














   AND THE POST THAT I'VE BEEN DYING TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL!!!!! EEP!

   So, toward the beginning of the year, I decided I would write down every book that I read. I could see how many I'd finished, and decide which ones were my favorite.

   Well, to celebrate the ending of 2016, I thought I'd share my book log with you all! I'll try to include the authors, though some I can't recall. Here goes!!

January

Jacob DeShazer*

February

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
David Bussau*

March

Adoniram Judson*
Return to Harmony by Janette Oke & Davis Bunn
Rowland Bingham*

April

Sojourner Truth
Roses for Mama by Janette Oke
Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom & Elizabeth Sherrill

May

Secret Passage
Sent by M. P. Haddix
William Wilberforce*
A Woman Named Damaris by Janette Oke 

June

Helen Keller-Handicapped Girl
The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of The Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle (the last seven listed--by C. S. Lewis)

July

C. S. Lewis*
The Hallelujah Lass by Wendy Lawton
Plain Girl
An Unlikely Friendship
Raiders from the Sea
Mystery of the Silver Coins
The Invisible Friend
Heart of Courage
The Raider's Promise (last five listed--Viking Quest Series by Lois Walfrid Johnson)
The Whipping Boy
Julia's Last Hope by Janette Oke
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

August

Lillian Trasher*

September
The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien
Voyage with the Vikings**
Attack at the Arena**
Peril in the Palace**
Revenge of the Red Knight**
Showdown with the Shepherd**
Gladys Aylward*
Problems in Plymouth**
Secret of the Prince's Tomb**
Battle for Cannibal Island**

October

Brother Andrew*
Milton Hershey*
Clarence Jones*


November

A Bride for Donnigan by Janette Oke
Escape to the Hiding Place**
Challenge on the Hill of Fire**

December

Hunt for the Devil's Dragon**
Danger on a Silent Night**
The Redcoats Are Coming!**
Captured on the High Seas**
Surprise at Yorktown**
Doomsday in Pompeii**
In Fear of the Spear**

*These are biographies put out by YWAM Publishing.
**The Imagination Station is a series of books put out by Adventures In Odyssey, and I've found them to be incredible for light reading, since they're geared for a younger audience. (I timed myself, and averaged a reading time of a little over 2 minutes per chapter...it's great. ☺) So if you need some fill-in light reads with good content, check these out!

Okay, now onto my favorites of the bunch!!


  • Several of these books I had never read before, but I'm so glad I did this year: The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings, and the Narnia series, as well. INCREDIBLE. I have no words. Also, reading YWAM's biography on C. S. Lewis was enlightening, especially after reading some of his work. (Tip: It's great to read about an author while reading their work. This gives you a greater depth of understanding into their work as well as their style and perspective.)
  • I have to separate those two enormous works of art. Firstly, the Lord of the Rings trilogy...
    I am SO glad I read these. I watched the movie before, but reading the book before/during/after watching definitely lends to the experience. (an example of movie lending to book: you can certainly envision a Ringwraith better after watching the movie. an example of book lending to movie: greater understanding of the characters--their motives, feelings, beliefs, purpose. I must say, though, that the makers of the movie did an phenomenal job capturing the essence of Tolkien's work and adapting this to film.) *end long rant*
    One more thing (sorry...)(...not really sorry) Although the appendices are long (and I only read a bit of them) it is a wealth of back information for the Tolkien fan. ENORMOUS wealth of information.
    {listen to this gorgeous song that Enya sang for one these movies' credits!!}
  • And the Narnia series...Oh, just so well written! Easily understood, delightful to read. Perhaps my favorite of them all was The Last Battle. Prince Caspian was good, as well. Oh, they just all were. Go read them! READ THEM!! (but only if you want to...)(Nope. I've changed my mind...it's compulsory...go read them.)
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen was rather a larger read for me, but not in the least deprived of its own enjoyable-ness. (it's a word; I just made it) I think it's the first of her books that I've read, so that was a nice adventure. It's fun to try new things sometimes. ☺
I think I'll be done ranting on books for now...even though I could go on to Oke and Haddix...I'll spare you all.

Have you read any of these books?
Which were your favorites?

Blessings and Love & happy last day of 2016!!

Comments

  1. Wow, Georgie! You read a lot of books this year!! Good job! It's inspiring! :) I started to read the Narnia series one time, but I didn't finish it. I LOVED the Hallelujah Lass! It was SO good!
    Thank you for taking my graduation pics! You did a great job! Love you!
    ~Your Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommending Hallelujah Lass...I agree; it was very good. Oh, thanks for letting me! Return the favor soon? :)
      Love you, and thanks for commenting! -G

      Delete
  2. It's incredible how similar our tastes are, though I know I shouldn't be surprised. I, too, read all these books, and my favorites are identical to yours!! -W

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments; they make my day!! ♥