Unmasking the Alloys || When Perceptions & Imitations Meet the Truth






"I will betroth you to me in faithfulness, and you shall know the LORD." -Hosea 2:20


The other day, I saw this verse from Jeremiah that said, "I will be their God." (chapter 31 verse 33) and it caused me to ask myself--Since God is my God, what does that mean to me? I started listing some things out in my journal:

It means that He faithfully convicts.
He acts consistently. He carries out and follows up.
He gives me the gift of the Holy Spirit to teach, convict, guard, and guide me.

It means that He takes care of me--both now and tomorrow.
He gives me everything I need, and more; my cup overflows.

That you are MY God means that you are slow to anger toward me.
That you are gracious toward me.
That you love me.
That you are always with me and will never leave me.

It means that He shows me the right, then gives me the grace, courage, and strength to carry it out.

~~~

I also came to realize that my perception of other people's characters--whether it was good aspects like their unconditional love and faithfulness, or negative aspects like inconsistency or vague instructions--influenced my view of God. And whether we realize it or not, I think a lot of us do that. We take 'character sketches' of those close to us or in authority over us, and apply them to God. Thing is, our view of others may not even be accurate! Yet this perception becomes truth in our minds.

"Three minutes after a three-minute conversation and I was sunk. I perceived another's perspective and received it as truth..." -Sara Hagerty, Unseen, pg 191


Once I understood this subconscious habit of mine, it served to give me a picture of the way I perceive Christ. Are people around me consistent and true to their word? God must be too. Are they hard to talk to and I come away from them feeling less of a person? God must be unapproachable and uncaring, too. Maybe you see a trend in your life, as well? Does God seem distant, harsh, hard to know? Or kind, close, eager to teach you more about Himself?

Get where I'm going with this? Depending on how you answer these questions yourself, it may be something you're experiencing in an earthly relationship. Here I find how imperative it is that I search God's Word for the truth, for it is very easy to be deceived by mere perception. When we search through the Bible, and ask God to reveal to us the truth about Himself, we find it (Jeremiah 39:12-14). This frees us up to a greater relationship with God, based on the truth, and also gives us the ability to extend grace to the humans around us.

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children." -Ephesians 5:1


To flip things around--the way WE walk and act is also giving others a picture of Christ. It's good to ask ourselves just what sort of an image we're portraying. When I'm quick to get angry with my little siblings, what does that tell them about God? Conversely, when I take the time to listen to them or help them with something, what does that reveal to them about God's character? What about my conversations with friends? The music I'm listening to and singing? Do we even know how Christ responds in the types of situations we find ourselves in day-to-day? (Here we find another excellent reason for digging into the Word of God.)

I am a bearer of His Name. (Psalm23:3) I must bear it well.

Here are some references I've found on God's character and what our character as His children looks like: 2 Timothy 2:13; John 14:26; Psalm 23; Exodus 34:6; Psalm 103; Isaiah 43:4; Hebrews 13:5; Micah 6:8; Matthew 6:12,14-15; Matthew 5:38-42; 1 Corinthians 13; Hebrews 3:13; 2 Timothy 4:2; Ephesians 4:29,31-32; Proverbs 25:11; Matthew 7:12; Titus 2:1-8

What about you? Is God YOUR God? What does that mean to you? What are some of your favorite Scriptures on this subject? I'd love to hear in the comments!!

Seeking Him,

Comments

  1. Excellently written and powerful! Not only is this convicting but encouraging that you have grasped these truths so early in your life! Love you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you to say, thanks... it's all God's work, so I can't take credit. ;) I love you, too! ♥

      Delete
  2. God. I don't deserve this love. But You "wants" to be my God. Because of Your love.
    Yes, God is my God! He is our God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God wants to be our God because He loves us. His motivation is Love; Himself! Yoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Exactly! Sam, thanks so much for sharing and for taking the time to read and comment! ♥

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments; they make my day!! ♥