Five Tips For Memorizing When Memorizing Just Isn't Your Thing

Ever tried to memorize a Scripture or a piece of music, and you just couldn't seem to get it? I've learned a few things as I've tried (and sometimes failed, forgotten, or flopped) to put some thing or other to memory. I've never even been close to those characters in books who roll stanzas of poetry off the ends of their tongues; but I have found a few things to be helpful. (I wrote these out mainly thinking of Scripture, but I realized it would work for other things, as well.)

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. -Psalms

one. start it small

Choose a small portion of the passage you're hoping to memorize. This could be one verse, one line, or one phrase. Whatever it is, start out small. Once you've mastered that one small thing, add the small thing right after it. I've tried this with both piano music and Scripture, and I'm sure it can work in other situations, as well. (let's be honest; it's probably because both my grandmother and my mother taught me this way...shout out to them! ♥)

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. -Psalms

two. repeat it often + out loud

If you want to emblazon something in your mind, REPEAT it again and again and again. This is necessary even if and especially if you've already mastered it. As the saying goes: "Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong." Whisper it to yourself throughout the day, set it as your email password, pin it on your wall and read it before bed, I don't really care.

(As a side note: if it's a musical instrument you're practicing, repetition is an amazing idea. HOWEVER, if you find yourself getting worse instead of better, give it a wee bit of a break--a day or two, even. When you come back to it, you might be surprised at the progress you'll make.)

Did I mention you should also say it out loud? Well, you should. Then you can hear it as well as think it. Oh, and don't forget: say it several times.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. -Psalms

three. write it down

Yes, your brain works hard when you think about something. Does it work differently when it has to think about something and write it down? I think so. Hasn't that been proven in some study? I'm pretty sure. And we're going to use that fact to our advantage in memorizing.

While we've already put a morsel of mutterings to memory, and we've already repeated it many times (to our relations' remorse), the thing to do next is write it out. Now our brains have thought, heard, and worked some hand muscles. It's a win-win-win situation: three times the chance of remembering.

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. -Ecclesiastes

four. get yourself some accountability

Because if you do, you're more likely to get that memorization done. Firstly, you've told someone, so now you feel you have to. Secondly, if they don't believe you can do it, you'll have to prove it to them. (Okay, maybe that second one's a little over the top, but it could manifest itself to be true.) Really, though, accountability keeps you going toward your goal while encouraging you through another's affirmation.

For this one, try setting a deadline for yourself to complete whatever it is you're memorizing. Simultaneously set a day at the end of that time to recite to the person you've voluntold to be your accountability.  It's a great feeling to accomplish something while someone's cheering you on and checking up on your progress, even if it does seem intimidating at first.

But we mustn't forget tip five in memorization...

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. -James

five. reward yourself


Set a reward for the end of any goal and it keeps you going! It reinforces and serves to give an outlet for the joy and satisfaction of completing a goal. No, it's not greedy or childish or selfish. Yes, it's necessary. Now go eat that Snickers bar.

~~~

Have you tried any of these before, or any tips I don't have on here?
What works best for you when you're memorizing something?

Seeking Him,
Georgie Grace

Comments