time || ten things to pray over our brothers and sisters in christ

Bored lately? With all the extra time at home, it'd be easy to be scrounging around for a good book, or browsing for a movie to watch. But before you pick up your remote control or remove the bookmark from that novel, take some time to read this verse:

Remember those who are in prison,
as though in prison with them,
and those who are mistreated,
since you also are in the body.

-Hebrews 13:3-

Disney+ can be entertaining, and there's nothing wrong with reading a good book. But this verse really stopped me in my tracks. Those things can't even compare; when was the last time I remembered my brothers and sisters in chains? Sure, I might think of them from time-to-time, but am I praying for them--remembering them as though in prison with them? Time out! It's time to pull out the prayer journal!

I've been thinking a great deal about having all this extra time on our hands, too. What a gift extra time is; let's not squander it!

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders. making the best use of the time.

-Colossians 4:5-


What if we used all this extra time to advance God's kingdom? What if we thought of it as extra prayer time rather than extra Netflix time? What if we thought of it as extra time in God's Word, rather than extra time on YouTube? I'm not saying some of these other things are bad; but I think there's room for our perspectives to change. Why don't we ask God to take something hard and use it for good? Let's glorify God by being faithful in the things of Him, rather than wasting our time in boredom.

Remembering our brothers and sisters who are being persecuted is just one way to do that. It's a command in Scripture, as we see in Hebrews 13. And it is such an honor to reach spiritually places it is impossible to be physically.

Some time ago, I saw a list of ten things to be praying for our brothers and sisters in Christ, along with Scriptures to pray over them. Over time, God has brought other verses to mind, as well, so I added those to my list. So if you're not sure what to pray, feel free to start here:

one. pray that our brothers and sisters in Christ would sense the LORD's presence.

Hebrews 13:5b-6 "for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear: what can man do to me?'"


two. that they would know we are praying for them.

2 Timothy 1:3, "I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day."



three. that they would experience God's comfort.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17, "Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word."



four. pray that they would see God open doors to evangelism.

Colossians 4:3-4, "At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison--that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak."



five. that they would boldly share the Gospel of Christ.

Acts 4:29, "And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to peak your word with all boldness..."



six. that they would mature in their faith.

Colossians 1:28-29, "Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching eveyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me."



seven. ask that God would grant them wisdom in covert ministry work.

Acts 9:23-25, "When many days had passed, the Jews plotted to kill him, but their plot became known to Saul. They were watching the gates day and night in order to kill him, but his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall, lowering him in a basket."



eight. that our brothers and sisters would remain joyful in suffering.

Acts 5:41, "Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name."
Acts 16:25-26, "About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them, and suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken. And immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone's bonds were unfastened."



nine. that God would give them the grace to forgive and to love their persecutors.

Matthew 5:44, "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."



ten. pray that our siblings in the faith would be rooted and grounded in God's Word and in His truth.

2 Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."
Colossians 2:6-7, "Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving."

Sincerely,
Georgie Grace

Comments