examine


1 Corinthians 11:28, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."

This word, "examine", means "to test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see whether a thing is genuine or not), as metals; to recognize as genuine after examination, to approve, deem worthy". It is a verb, translated as follows: prove (10x) try (4x) approve (3x) discern (2x) allow (2x) like (1x) examine (1x).

It is the same word "alloweth" found in Romans 14:22, which says, "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth."

Also the word "try" in 1 John 4:1 - "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."


Am I true and genuine in my faith I profess? Am I living in a manner worthy of the Gospel? How about the things I allow in my life?

"All things are lawful" -1 Corinthians 10:23, but are they real, genuine, profitable? If by testing them now they prove false, how much more when God on that Day tests by fire! How many of these things will stand refined - or burn as stubble? And the things I believe, these voices to which I listen, are they true? Or is it the spirit of antichrist?

We always say that "one day" all things will be revealed as they truly are and for now we must walk by faith - two very true Biblical statements. However, when this leads us to complacency, which I believe it often does, we MISS that God has given us a measure of His Holy Spirit power to sound some things out right NOW. To prove them. It is the difference between ignorance - willful ignorance - and faith. And that difference is embracing the responsibility. Claiming the power of God that is at work today.

||thoughts shared from my journal 03.30.2018||

Sincerely,
Georgie Grace

Comments