Reading Challenge 2017 || Completed!!





Happy end of December and, consequently, 2017. Did it feel like it flew to anyone else?
Well, I figured that now would be an excellent opportunity to post some of the books I read this year in completing the 2017 Book Challenge. Here goes!


Reading Challenge for 2017
1. A classic. I chose Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for this one. P&P is definitely my favorite Jane Austen novel so far, and I would recommend for anyone who likes books written in 1800s lingo and averaging around fifty chapters.

2. A book with a main character whose name you really like. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. Despereaux is a cool name. Need I say more?

3. A trilogy. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John in the Bible. I recommend everyone in the world read these books; though I must warn you that, as all books in the Bible, its content cuts to the heart and may leave you either squirming in your seat, crying, or rejoicing by turn. Very powerful reads which will change your life. (see also 2 Timothy 3:16)

4. A biography about a person you respect/admire/want to learn more about. Jacob DeShazer by Geoff and Janet Benge (published by YWAM) A reread, yes, but ever since I first read about Jacob DeShazer's life and God's purpose for him, I've been inspired.

5. A book about or including a Biblical figure you admire. Deuteronomy is one of my favorite books in the Bible. I can't remember which Biblical figure I admired in it, but the book itself! (see commentary on #3 above)

6. One of your favorite books in the Bible. Romans. When I read it, my faith is bolstered, and I am encouraged. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. (and again, refer back to #3)

7. A book over 400 pages long. Seasons of the Heart series by Janette Oke. (it's a 4-in-1 version) Yes, another reread. Very well may be my favorite Janette Oke books. There are so many truths to be gleaned about waiting for God's timing, finding His purpose for your life, and following His will in the everyday.

8. A reread. Bahaha! Another reread, only this time, required. You may well wonder if I ever expand my horizons, but never fear; I will by the end of this list. ;) And this reread--Stepping Heavenward by E. Prentiss--I hadn't read in a long time. So I barely remembered any of it as I was rereading.

9. A book set in your favorite time period. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I love the way they spoke back then. I didn't like this one near as much as Pride and Prejudice, though. It almost wasn't worth reading? :S Sorry if any of you are fans...

10. A history book. The Princess Adelina by Julie Sutter. You're going to want to read this. Just a suggestion.

11. A book about a hobby or career you want to pursue. Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff by Robert Paul Weston is a comic verse-novel. I can't vouch for all the content, as there are a couple unnecessary things mentioned, but the overall theme--an entire book written in poetry form and with different font stylings, is very appealing.

12. A book in your favorite genre. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Christian allegory, clean fantasy fiction, and children's literature all rolled into one (make that seven) neat package(s).

13. A book by an author you’ve never read any other works by. Now that eliminates rereading possibilities. A Long Walk to Water by Park, which was based on true stories. I really liked this one.

14. A book with a title you really like. The Giver. This was exceedingly thought-provoking. I feel like I've already reviewed this book a bit somewhere on this blog..in here.

15. A book a family member or friend chooses for you. (No options!) My sister recommended Teaching to Change Lives by Dr. Howard Hendricks. I would highly recommend this to you, as well. It leaves one feeling uncomfortable in a good sort of way--the kind of uncomfortable that makes you reevaluate and leads to change in your life. Read it, read it, read it!

16. A book that you buy at the bookstore – one that you haven’t had on your TBR list and haven’t decided on buying (a.k.a. spontaneous purchase!). The Scarlet Pimpernel by Orczy. I don't have much more to say about this than I did a couple posts ago. ☺

17. A book you’ve seen the movie-version of (but haven’t read before). Little Women by Alcott. This was actually the first book I read this year, and somehow it landed at the bottom of the list. ☺

And there you have it! Did you participate in a reading challenge this year? What was the best book you read in 2017? I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Blessings & Love,
Georgie Grace

Comments