Selfish --vs-- Selfless











selfless- "having no concern for self: unselfish"
selfish- "concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself; seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard to others"
-Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Ouch. It's so easy to be selfish, isn't it? And sometimes what might not even seem like selfishness at first, turns out to be.

I used to struggle with stopping a job or something 'important' that I was doing to help someone else with their need. Instead of stepping in, I would ask someone else to help--even if she was equally as busy or busier than I was. One day, I was in the middle of asking someone else to help when I realized, wait...I can do it! It was as if it had just dawned on me.

I know it might seem obvious that "Oh, wow, that's totally selfish." But to me at the time, it wasn't. Looking back, I see that my selfishness saw me and my work as more important than others and their work. I can also see that had I been selfless, I would have seen the need and sought to lift another's burden rather than add to their plate...even if it meant putting off what I was working on at the time.

And that's exactly what God calls us to do:
"Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others more significant than yourselves. Let each look not only to His own interests, but also to the interests of others." -Philippians 2:3-4
Wow! That's hard, isn't it? Keep reading on to verses 5-11. Just think of Jesus, how He exhibited selflessness. He was obedient to death to free us from our sins, and He rose again that we could walk in newness of life. (see Romans 6)  And God rewarded His obedience.

There are still areas in my life where I need to become more selfless. Maybe you do, too. Maybe it's in areas like wasting time, creating more work for others in actions or things you don't act upon, not wanting to share your time or your God-given talents, and the list goes on. Pray and ask God to help you to become more selfless, like His Son. It's not going to be easy, but God can help you and is well able to grant you the victory!
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."-1 Corinthians 15:57
 "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." -Hebrews 11:6
So don't waver and don't grow weary! Your labor is not in vain! (see Jeremiah 4:1b; Galatians 6:9-10; 1 Corinthians 15:58)

Blessings & Love,
Georgie Grace

p.s.
umm...it was SNOWING as I was typing this up, and somehow I missed it??? It hasn't amounted to anything, but it is definitely December peeps. Is it snowing where you are?

Comments

  1. Wow, yes it can be so easy to be selfish. It was nice to read your thoughts on this.
    And AMAHZINGGG PICTURES!!!!! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easy to be selfish, but we serve a gracious Father! Thank you so much for reading, and for your encouraging comment!! ♥

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments; they make my day!! ♥